Sunday, March 24, 2019

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen in HELP!

I grew up loving (among other things) comic books and movies and thus I love it when the two cross over. Keep in mind that I am from an era when there wasn't a new multi-million-dollar flick based on a comic book coming to theaters every other month. I'm especially a fan of spotting real-world comic books that are in movies just incidentally. You can see my recent post of a photo from Cape Fear (1991) for example.

The other day I was watching Richard Lester's HELP! from 1965 which, if you didn't know, stars The Beatles. Within the film, they all share a giant house full of, shall we say, "eccentric amenities" catered to each Beatle (think Pee-wee's Playhouse meets any really swinging pad of that era's James Bond movies).
Paul McCartney's portion of the house features a door to a lower level from which an organ rises on a platform through the floor.



What I noticed this time was that instead of sheet music, Paul is reading comics! They mostly seem to be issues of Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, with a Superman and maybe an Archie mixed in as well?

Nice choice, Paul! Were I ever able, I would have this exact setup in my home as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment